Friday, August 28, 2009

Thing 22 - 23 Things in your Library

One of the most important parts of North Texas 23, for me, has been exposure to all of the new technologies that our young people are using, creating, and growing up with. I may not perfect each of them or even any of them, but at least I will have some working knowledge as to what they are doing and talking about. This new technology is everywhere: school, business, television, cell phones, etc. One of my jobs is to at least be able to communicate with my students as to their interests and activities. And, oh yes, this course stretched and stretched my comfort zone close to breaking on a few occasions!! :-)
I believe the Things that I liked best were Flickr, Twitter, Face Book, and You Tube -maybe because I finally developed a semi-decent product with these. I can see using Twitter among grade levels and work groups to promote thoughts and ideas, to work off of page, etc.
Flicker contains such a wealth of pictures and graphics, I cannot imagine not presenting it to the faculty - then to their students for use on many levels. The ability to reorganize the pictures in myriad ways will fascinate the students and encourage them to be creative and innovative as they create reports, artwork, and other activities.
Face book and You Tube might need to be a little more closely monitored with definite rules and regulations. But many interactions can occur between faculty and student or student to student that would create more freedom to be totally honest and upfront in thoughts and feelings about school, staff, students, relationships, concerns, interactions, and so on. Parent and community interaction and involvement in school activities and support would definitely, also, benefit from Twitter, FaceBook. Ning, Podcasts, Dig and Libworm all have unlimited use in research and creative presentations by students and faculty. Presentation of these works will not only impress and excite the public as to what is happening in our schools, but, they will help justify the spending of the bond money our community so graciously voted for us to have.
I have actually enjoyed this experience, although I have spent hours and hours on some of the Things - trying to get them finished correctly. Although I might not have completed all 23 of the Things totally correctly, believe me, it was not for lack of trying!! I do hope I can make mayself continue to use at least a few of these Things during the year. They are "today" and pertinent to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment