Friday, August 28, 2009

Thing 23 Reflections

Started this once, managed to lose it. So here we go again!
I know full well that I did not do an excellent job on all 23 Things. I was much better at some than others. But, I will say this for myself, I did try, and try, and try - sometimes for hours - to do the Thing correctly and produce a good product. I really enjoyed many of the Things, and disliked several. I am sure that I would never have attempted an activity of this nature on my own. But I do know how very important it is for librarians and libraries to stay current with technology. It is growing by such leaps and bounds that those of us who do not make at least some attempt to keep up, stay current, and know what our young people are interested in and using, will be left behind and lost completely in very quick order.
I do question the mass of materials being produced. It seems to me that there us an over-abundance of materials in some areas. But, I guess if something like Twitter is created and takes off like a rocket, there must have been a nitch for it!
I really like Flickr - it offers so much creative and artistic ability. The possibilities are endless. If nothing else, it is just plain fun! I think that Ning, Libworm, and Dig are gold mines for information and reseaarch - helpful to both teacher and student.
I am not overly crazy about You Tube and Face Book. I feel that entirely too much personal information is provided indiscriminately to the public. For school and library purposed, I think these sites would need to be closely monitored and strict rules devised for their use. For learning/study groups, club members, or interaction with the public on specific topics and need, I can see that there might be value in these sites.
I found the Podcasts very difficult to understand and follow. But for public promotion of school activities, successes, information sources they could definitely be useful.
One of the most challenging parts of North Texas 23, for me, was following the directions. I felt I truly know what was expected of me and how to accomplish my task was full explained on only 5-6 of the Things. Once the initial instrution sheet got me to the Thing site, I felt abandoned. I could not find what was supposed to be there, understand what I was to do, figure out how to correct mistakes, among other problems. I started some of the Things over and over again and then finally had to punt in hopes that I had completed the activity properly.
I would attempt the North Texas 23 again even knowing what I know now. I do believe that I learned masses of information about the hitherto unknown world of the internet and its sites and functions. However, lest we pretend that I am not overjoyed about completing the 23 Things. Thanks to those of you who put the program togetherlady and stood in support if needed.
YAHOO! HIP-HIP-HURRAY! GLORY BE! I'VE FINISHED. :-) :-) :-) caw - ASJliblady

No comments:

Post a Comment